PayTollo Blog

Cash is king, and the king is dead

Cash is king and the king is dead - PayTollo

In 2021, you can do nearly everything on your phone. Buy groceries, get dinner, order a car—you can even search for and pick out a new dog right in the palm of your hand.

You can now add paying for tolls to that list—say goodbye to waiting in long lines for cash lanes. More and more toll authorities across the country are adopting new forms of cashless tolling—over 90% of tolling facilities are now accommodating some sort of electronic payment. It decreases wait times, opens up more lanes for drivers, and cuts down on violations and notices in the mail. The choice is simple: stress and worry on one side, ease and speed on the other.

But cashless tolling isn’t just easier on drivers—it’s better for the environment, too.

During busy times, New York-area drivers used to spend up to two minutes waiting for their turn to pay a cash toll—sometimes more. In 2019, 58% of NYC’s 4.7 million workers commuted via mass transit, meaning if even half of the remaining 42% carpooled with one other person, that would still be nearly 1.5 million vehicles on the road into, out of, and around the New York metro area every day. You can imagine the environmental impact of New York’s vehicles idling in line, waiting to pay tolls, day after day.

And that’s New York, where 58% of commuters travel via mass transit. In the rest of the country, only 5% of commuters take mass transit, and we haven’t even factored in maintenance costs, repairs and producing new materials for our nation’s roads and vehicles.

Finally, cashless tolling is an excellent way to increase interpersonal hygiene and help us keep each other healthy. Since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, 51% of American consumers have begun using some form of contactless payment. Even in pre-pandemic years, exchanging cash between hands ranked high on the list of disease vectors. The pandemic has accelerated the trend away from cash tolling even more, with all seven of the Bay Area’s state-owned bridges and all 570 miles of the NY Thruway Authority’s transit system going cashless.

PayTollo can be the cashless tolling solution you need, with nothing more than your phone. PayTollo is able to match your position at the time of a triggered toll transaction and pay the toll for you using funds out of your pre-filled wallet. All you have to do is download the app, register your vehicle, fill up your wallet and drive through the cashless lane.

No cash, coins or time-consuming lane lines to worry about.


Sean Curry
www.PayTollo.com
Sign Up for PayTollo Here